Hattie’s story – University of Brighton

My Clearing success story at Brighton

My account as a student who went through the Clearing process and successfully got onto the course of my dreams!

My Personal Clearing Experience 

My university Clearing journey was a rollercoaster of unexpected decisions and opportunities that led me to study my dream course at the University of Brighton.  

I hadn’t planned to go to university that year, but I spontaneously decided to call the Clearing team to try and get a place in the Graphic Design BA course, as that was what I was planning to do after my gap year. 

An issue that I experienced during Clearing was the fact that I didn’t have a portfolio ready. However, the lecturers were understanding and flexible, and allowed me to quickly pull together a collection of my work. After reviewing my work they offered me a spot on the course and showed their support for my academic goals. 

My Advice For Clearing

The concept of Clearing can seem very stressful at first, but I found the way Brighton handles it to be very organised and simple. When I had my Clearing Callback, I had expectations that the process would be long and complicated, but I was relieved to find the University made it quick and easy! 

My advice to other students looking at going through Clearing would be to not worry! There are over 160 courses at the University of Brighton alone, the chances are that you will find a course that is perfect for you! Brighton is also committed to allowing as many people as possible to take advantage of higher education, and operates a flexible admissions policy where applications are considered on merit. 

For people wanting to apply for creative subjects through Clearing, make sure that you have a collection of work to show your talent and capabilities. A portfolio is arguably more important than grades, so if you can showcase a range of different abilities relating to your course then you should have a good shot! 

A wall of colourful printed word graphic art

My Experience at Brighton 

My experience at Brighton has so far been very positive. From my first day I found the university to be highly organised; there is great communication between both staff and students. I have heard stories about universities that can take weeks to respond to an email, and I was worried about the possibility of bad communication at Brighton, but I have never had an issue and all my emails / queries are always answered within a few days. 

The facilities at Brighton are also amazing. As I do a creative course, I find that all the different studios and equipment make the quality of my work so much better than it ever was. The facilities have allowed me to experiment with techniques that are completely new to me, which has allowed me to significantly improve my creative skills. I have found the printing facilities to be the most helpful for me. The university offers high quality printing services, using studio printers, which can be quite pricey outside of campus. This has helped me massively when it comes to producing high quality work for my assignments, as well as saving money while at university.  

Students working in an art room full of works in progress whilst their lecturer assists them

Is Brighton For You? 

If you are wondering if Brighton is the university for you, then you have it ask yourself what you want from your university. Brighton is very career focused, and they begin teaching transferable skills from day one, with a focus on skills employers typically look for. 

As I mentioned before, Brighton also has a range of amazing facilities. From sport facilities to medical – everything you need is usually right on campus.  

University of Brighton also has very good student support. The Student Support and Guidance Tutors (SSGTs) are dedicated to supporting students with any issues that might be impacting studies, wellbeing and experience at the university. 

If any of these points interest you, Brighton might be the university you are looking for! 

Further reading